The beginning of the First United Methodist Church was set against the backdrop of a rural community composed of a school, grocery store, drugstore, food store, service station and a bank. The heart of Reseda was the intersection of Sherman Way and Reseda Boulevard.
Harry and Elsie Cady were the pioneers who fostered a dream of forming a church. This dream was born in September, 1923, when they invited interested persons to attend a Sunday School in their home. Twenty-four attended the first class. An enthusiasm was sparked and meetings continued in homes, a vacant store building, and a bean factory where the only bench was a bean sack.
The church was officially chartered in 1924 as the Reseda Community Church in the Pacific Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, with the Rev. Enoch Eiland as the first pastor.
To meet the needs of a growing church, a new building was begun in February, 1925 and completed on August 9, 1925 at the cost of $16,000. It was located at the corner of Amigo and Gault.
The continuing growth of the congregation over the next twenty-seven years led to a decision in 1952 to relocate. Building funds were raised through pledges amounting to $58,000, the sale of the existing site and contributions from Temple Judea which had shared the church's facilities for two years.
Ground breaking at the corner of Lindley and Saticoy took place on May 23, 1954. During construction, worship services were held at the Reseda Theater and classes were conducted in homes. The Chapel, Friendship Hall, Fireside Room, and Church School rooms were dedicated on February 20, 1955. Construction of the sanctuary followed and the dedication was held in 1961.
In 1968, the West Van Nuys United Methodist Church, which had begun its ministry in 1950, merged with the First United Methodist Church of Reseda, with the membership of the two congregations being joined.
A total of thirty pastors have been appointed to the Van Nuys and Reseda churches during the years of their ministry. For the past eighty-eight years the First United Methodist Church has played a vital part in the life of the community. Known for inspiring music, mission and outreach in the local community and around the world, and a strong education ministry, the church continues to serve with dedication and endless care.
You are most welcome to view our church photo album